Every year, over 100 music, dance, film, and theater presentations are offered at the Dance Palace. Community groups, businesses, and individuals return to the Dance Palace year after year to hold fundraisers, conferences, workshops, retreats, meetings and forums. Our facilities are available for public or private use. The Dance Palace is an affordable, well-equipped and friendly space to host an event.
We look forward to working with you and/or your organization!
The Dance Palace retains the right to:
- Deny use to anyone or any group
- Limit repeated similar use
- Refuse to allow unqualified technicians to operate Dance Palace equipment
- Charge user for damages done to property due to user neglect, accident, or audience abuse.
Selling of Alcoholic Beverages
It is required by law that you obtain a permit from the State Board of Equalization if you sell (or ask for donations for) alcoholic beverages at your event.
In the interests of energy conservation, we ask that you monitor your use of lights and heat, and be sure that you turn lights and heat off, and use the timer on the outside light when you leave. Please set thermostats no higher than 68 degrees. Note that the Dance Palace is certified as a Bay Area Green Business; we encourage you to make every effort to follow green and sustainable practices when you use the Dance Palace.
1. A 50% deposit is due at the time of booking to secure the date and hold the space.
2. Your fee will be returned if the Dance Palace cancels your booking 90 days prior to use.
3. You are responsible for 50% of rental fee if you cancel more than 60 days prior to use.
4. There are no refunds for cancellations within 60 days of use.
Delinquent Payment Policy
- When payment is 30 days late, a 30-day notice will be sent.
- When payment is 60 days late, a letter will be sent informing the client that a payment plan must be agreed upon and that the Dance Palace Executive Director will within 10 working days to establish an agree-upon payment plan. The payment plan will be signed by both the Executive Director and the client, and a copy mailed to the Dance Palace Board Treasurer.
- If after 90 days the client does not respond or meet the payment plan schedule, the client will be informed that the Dance Palace Board of Directors will be notified, and the Board Treasurer will call the client.
- Once a client is 90 days past due, the client will be informed that all other Dance Palace room reservations, tuition, etc. will have to be paid cash in advance.
- We will put up posters that you provide to us in West Marin. Please provide us with posters three weeks prior to your event. We cannot put up posters larger than 8.5 X 11.
- We will list your event in our display ads in the Point Reyes Light and the West Marin Citizen.
- Your event will be announced on our web site at least one the week prior.
- We do not distribute press releases or photos, but encourage you to do so.
- Your event will be listed at least once on the Monday prior to your event in This Week at The Dance Palace, a weekly email calendar.
- Your event will be listed, if scheduled in a timely fashion, in our program bulletin, which is mailed three times per year.
- If you wish, we will make every effort to connect you with a KWMR programmer for an interview and/or radio play of your music. We will need a promo pack including a CD (if applicable) no later than one month prior to your event. A programmer will then contact you roughly 2 weeks in advance of your event to setup a time slot.
Use of Facility Hours
The Dance Palace is available for use from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday. All music must stop at 11:30 p.m. on weekends!
We are in a residential neighborhood and any amplified sound must be within reasonable levels. DP staff will govern and set levels of permissible amplification.
- Please start promptly as advertised; music must end at 11:30 p.m.
- For large dances (over 100 people), you must hire an off-duty deputy sheriff for security.
- Neighbors must be contacted two weeks in advance of a big dance.
- We will contact the Sheriff's office in advance of a big dance.
- Absolutely no drugs!
Absolutely No Smoking, No Candles, No Open Flames!
Staff will assist you with your technical arrangements, making sure you know how to use the equipment, but you must provide your own technical staff for your show or exhibit. An orientation must be arranged prior to the event. It is not part of DP's Technical Director job to be there for your entire event. Technical Director may be available by advance arrangement to design light/sound, hang your lights, run sound, etc. You are responsible for your own setup and strike unless other arrangements have been made and approved by the Dance Palace.
Carol Friedman Main Hall
The Dance Palace’s main space is equipped with professional sound and lighting equipment. The facility is suited for many uses, including concerts, fundraiser's,forums, theater, classes, workshops, rehearsals, and film screenings.
- Capacity: 175 moveable seating
- Dimensions: 51’ x 51’
- Hardwood floors, natural lighting, easy loading deck
Sound Equipment Available:
- Allen & Heath GL 2200 16 Channel mixing console
- 4 PAS floor monitors
- Meyer Audio main speakers and subs
- 4 AKG 535
- 2 Shure SM 58
- 2 Shure SM 57
- 2 Shure SM 58 Wireless
- 2 Countryman Direct Boxes
- TC Electronic M-One effects
- DBX 1046 Quad Compressor/Limiter
- DBX 3231 1/3 Octave Dual EQ on Mains
- Single Space EQ on 4 Monitor Sends
- Crown Amplifiers for Monitors
- Sony CD/DVD/Mp3 Audio/Video Player
Lighting Equipment Available:
- 10 - Colortran Elipsoidal 750 watt
- 4- PAR64, 500 watt medium flood
- 4 - 6” fresnels, 500 watt
- 2 scene preset 12 dimmer board 2kw/channel
- Grand piano
- Portable raised platforms
- LCD and slide projectors and screen
- Portable 1- microphone lectern
- Tumbling mats
- Stereo Unit w CD/DVD Player and Ipod hookup
- 9 - 8 ft Tables
- 3 - 6 ft Tables
- 3 Card Tables
The Dance Palace grand piano is available for use with prior permission from the Executive Director only. It is not to be used for casual play or as a table. Children may not play the piano, except during a class or performance under the strict supervision of an adult. The Dance Palace tunes the piano regularly, but will not tune the piano specifically for your concert. If you wish to make arrangements to have the piano tuned for your event (cost $100), contact staff 2 weeks in advance. Please treat the piano with respect! Return the piano to its storage closet with the cover on when you are finished.
The Dance Palace’s church space is a smaller more intimate room suited for many uses, including readings, acoustic concerts, meetings, workshops, rehearsals and classes.
Church Space specifications:
- Capacity: 75 moveable seating
- Dimensions: 20’ x 57’
- Raised stage area
- 6 dimmer Portable board
- 5 3 1/2 Ellipsoidal instruments
- Overhead Track Lighting
- House Lights on Dimmer
- Portable 2-microphone lectern
- LCD and Slide Projectors and screen
- Tumbling mats
- VCR and television
- Stereo Unit w CD/ Player and Ipod hookup
- 3 microphone inputs
- EQ on main speakers
- 3 - 8 ft Tables, 2 - 6 ft Tables, 1 card table
The Board Room is suitable for meetings, classes and workshops. Capacity: 15
The Kitchen is a small, non-commercial kitchen. Equipment available:
- 6-Burner Wolf stove
- Small refrigerator/freezer
- Coffee makers/thermos
Box Office & Tickets
- You must provide your own door manager, change, hand stamp, tickets, and cash box.
- We do not handle advance sale tickets or phone reservations for events. Please let us know if you will do any kind of advance sales via email or phone so we can put this in our publicity.
- You set your ticket price; current prices range from $3 to $35. Please do not change your ticket price or the name of your event after it has been publicized in the bulletin.
- You may choose to designate senior and/or children's tickets prices. Dance Palace policy is that seniors are 65 years and older; children are 12 years and under.
- We provide free ticket vouchers to low-income people who could not afford Dance Palace events, to Volunteer Squad members to give to friends who will help talk up your event, and to KWMR to give out on air as additional publicity for events; please honor these vouchers.
- Half-price discount cards are available for those on limited incomes. These"gold cards" must be honored for half-price admission at the door.
- DP staff and their families get in free to all events.
You may set up starting 2 hours before your show time; setup time prior to that may be arranged if available. Our technical director will assist you and answer any questions, but you are responsible for the actual moving of chairs, tables, lights, etc. If you wish to re-hang theater lighting, you must get authorization from our technical director first. Please contact us the week before your event to let us know your technical needs and when you will arrive.
Cleaning fee for events with food/snacks or beverages
- If food is served at your event in the Main Hall or the Church there will be a fee of $100 charged.
- When food and drinks are sold by a non-profit organization at an event in support of that non-profit organization or cause, there will be no percentage charged.
- When food and drinks are sold by the performer at an event to help cover the costs of the performance, there will be no percentage charged.
- Please note that the Dance Palace is a certified Bay Area Green Business. Please follow Dance Palace recycling guidelines, and make every effort to use green and sustainable products.
- You must do a thorough cleanup of the kitchen and food area.
- DP staff will provide you with a clean facility; we expect you to provide us with the same when you are finished with your rehearsal/exhibit/event.
- We will provide cleaning equipment and supplies, including mops, garbage cans, brooms, etc.
- Please recycle cans, glass, cardboard, and paper in appropriate containers. Cans, glass, plastic, paper, cardboard can be disposed of in the large recycling bin out back. Do not put garbage in this bin.
- Trash can be put in the Dance Palace dumpster; key is on the window frame next to the kitchen door.
- You are responsible for cleanup of outside area as well as indoor space after your event; including streets and areas off DP property that are nearby.
- If cleanup is not done, you will be charged for necessary cleanup.
- Lunch/Dinner events must haul their own garbage.
Lost Or Stolen Items
The Dance Palace is a public facility, and cannot be held responsible for lost and/or stolen items. Items left on DP premises for 30 days will be considered abandoned and it will be up to the DP staff to decide what is deemed suitable use or disposal of said items.
Supplies And Equipment
- You are welcome to use the big Dance Palace coffee makers. Please follow directions posted, and treat them with care.
- Toilet paper and paper towels are in the bottom cabinet immediately to the right of the (hall) kitchen door.
- All other supplies - including cups, plates, napkins, coffee, sugar, tea, and anything in the refrigerator are the property of the Dance Palace and not for general use.
- Put everything back where you found it originally, using the detailed checklist provided. Please pay attention to signs that indicate where to put chairs, tables, and risers.
- If you have used window shades, please take them down and put in west storage room.
- Theater lighting must be returned to its original configuration.
- Clean up - sweep, throw away garbage, clean dressing room, and clean outdoor area.
- Turn off the CD/audio player, heat (you will be charged $35 extra if left on), and all the lights (including in the bathrooms).
- Lock all the doors in all rooms and be sure to close and lock all the windows.